POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Re: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 06:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White hat? Black Hat?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Sep 2008 12:13:47
Message: <48cbe6bb$1@news.povray.org>
>> Well, no, because fixing a broken window costs money.
>
> And it doesn't cost money to fix a compromised system?

Depends how it was compromised, doesn't it?

>> You can "break into" a computer system without causing damage that has
>> to be repaired.
>
> OK, assume I only go into houses that have windows that are ajar, or that I
> leave money for the window repair, or that I pick the lock instead... etc.

If you tell somebody "hey, your window is ajar", they'll believe you.

If you tell somebody "hey, your computer system is insecure", it's
unfortunately rather unlikely that they'll believe you.

Now if some guy wanders round randomly trying to break into systems,
then yes, that's not really acceptable and they deserve to be convicted
with something. But if you tell somebody their system is insecure and
they fail to do anything about it... what else are you supposed to do? I
mean, if it has no impact on you, then fine. But if that system holds
data about you, presumably you'd *like* it to be nice and secure.

(Obviously, I don't know which of those two scenarious was actually the
case in this particular story. Presumably the court case will decide.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/